- Jobcentre Plus helps people to find work.
- It keeps a database of local, national and overseas vacancies.
- You can find out about training schemes, benefits, self-employment and how to fill in application forms. There’s also advice for disabled people.
- There are various ways of checking vacancies at Jobcentre Plus.
- Most towns have a Jobcentre Plus office.
What does Jobcentre Plus do?
Jobcentre Plus can help you find full-time, part-time, temporary or permanent work. Each Jobcentre Plus office advertises a wide range of job vacancies.
If you see an advert you’re interested in, you can speak to an adviser who will give you more details about the job and an application form. They may even be able to call the employer there and then and arrange an interview for you.
As well as information about local employers, advisers at a Jobcentre Plus office have databases containing information on national and overseas vacancies.
You can also find out about:
- what type of work you’d be suited to
- schemes and resources to help you find work
- retraining programmes
- help if you are disabled or are a single parent
- how to complete application forms and prepare for an interview
- financial schemes/help while you look for work.
If you’re out of work, you need to register with your local Jobcentre Plus to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance. You will meet an adviser who will ask you about:
- the type of work you’re interested in
- your skills and experience
- any training you’ve had
- any training you’d like to take up
- whether you need any special help, for example, if you are disabled.
From this, the adviser will draw up an action plan to help you find work.
How to search for vacancies through Jobcentre Plus
You can go to a Jobcentre Plus office and browse the vacancies board, as well as look through other resources such as newspapers, leaflets, books and the internet.
You can search vacancies by looking at the Jobcentre Plus website at www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk. You can select criteria that narrow down the type of job you’re looking for and the location.
You can call Jobseeker Direct on 0845 6060 234 to find out about the latest job vacancies.
Why use Jobcentre Plus as part of your job search?
Services offered by Jobcentre Plus are free of charge. Since Jobcentre Plus is a government agency, and non-profit making, the advice given is independent and unbiased.
Jobcentre Plus organises job fairs – these give jobseekers the chance to talk directly to employers about opportunities that are available.
Vacancies in Jobcentre Plus offices change regularly, so if you don’t find something straight away, keep on looking. If you’re looking for work quickly, an adviser can often arrange an interview for you there and then.
Don’t dismiss Jobcentre Plus as a source of vacancies – the range of jobs being advertised is much wider than it used to be and many employers see it as a cheaper way of recruiting compared to, say, recruitment agencies or the local press.